Job Title: Geotechnical Engineer
For Geotechnical Engineering Projects:
• Plan/coordinate subsurface exploration programs, field tests, and construction quality assurance activities.
• Perform geotechnical engineering analyses manually or using software, including characterization and selection of soil engineering properties, applying geotechnical engineering principles, procedures and criteria for consolidation, earth pressures, field exploration techniques, laboratory testing and data interpretation.
• Perform stability and seepage analyses of earthen embankment, dams and slopes using SLOPE/W and SEEP/W.
• Use PLAXIS for the analysis/ design of excavation support systems, mechanically stabilized earth (MSE) walls and tunnels.
• Develop designs and perform numerical analyses for earthen dams founded on a variety of subsurface conditions. Assess suitability of fill materials for construction, based on laboratory data and geotechnical principles and criteria;
• Analyze/design earth retaining structures, shallow and deep foundations, and stormwater management facilities;
• Analyze foundations for buildings and infrastructure underlain by Karst condition. Coordinate drilling and geophysical exploration to identify subsurface Karst conditions and features.
• Design remediation of Karst conditions such as deep compaction, intrusion grouting, and underpinning.
• Analyze geotechnical aspects of landfills, including construction and demolition waste landfills.
• Plan/monitor geo-instrumentation including inclinometers.
• Plan/coordinate geotechnical laboratory testing of soil for strength, permeability and consolidation.
• Summarize, evaluate, and present field and laboratory data using gINT and Excel.
• Draft geotechnical engineering reports with field and laboratory data, engineering analyses, and construction quality assurance data under supervision of senior engineer.
• Analyze deep foundation using FDOT software (FB-Deep and LPILE).
• Monitor construction of shallow and deep foundations including driven piles, auger cast piles and drilled shafts for residential and commercial buildings.
• Conduct pavement evaluation survey and provide options for remediation.
• Develop/review construction drawings using AutoCAD for senior engineering review.
• Assist senior engineers with project management and business development, preparing proposals, budget estimates and construction schedules.
• Present technical results and reports verbally and in writing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT: Requires a Master's degree in Civil Engineering with a major/concentration in Geotechnical Engineering (defined as completion of Thesis and 21 credits of coursework concentrated in Geotechnical Engineering). The Master’s degree must contain coursework that includes emphasis on:
• Seepage and slope stability principles and their application to the analyses and construction of earthen embankment dams and slopes;
• Analysis and design of earth retaining structures, and shallow and deep foundations;
• Theoretical and experimental soil mechanics, geotechnical aspects of landfill, consolidation, and earth pressures;
• Numerical modeling (PLAXIS) and the application of computer tools (SLOPE/W, SIGMA/W, and SEEP/W) for geotechnical analysis;
• Field exploration techniques, laboratory testing and data interpretation.
Requires (6) months experience in job offered or 6 months experience as a Graduate Research Assistant responsible for:
• Monitoring slope stability and geo-instrumentation including inclinometers;
• Stabilizing slope using Soil Nails and/or Recycled Plastic Pins (RPP);
• Formulating research hypotheses regarding construction and demolition waste;
• Implementing research methodologies for projects involving the disposal of construction and demolition waste;
• Researching industry standards and practices for the disposal and diversion of construction and demolition waste;
• Analyzing laboratory testing results, generating relevant charts, and presenting the data and progress results to supervisors.
Experience can be pre or post degree.
JOB TIME: Full Time