Our Fort Myer’s office has an opportunity available for a Driller Trainee. A driller trainee will assist the crew chief in solid auger and rotary drilling techniques. The trainee will help move, set up and operate drill rigs and related equipment to drill test holes for geotechnical engineering studies. Site investigation/geotechnical drilling is done to determine the soil characteristics on sites to be developed as building, roadways and bridges. Work is outdoors. The work is generally physically demanding. However, safety is in our work is an uncompromised value and we are proud of our safety record.
• Assist in drilling operations.
• Expedite field supplies.
• Perform duties at multiple job sites.
• Perform yard duties at direction of supervisor.
• Assist in measuring test boring locations
• Load and unload trucks.
• Smoothly and quickly connect and disconnect the lower parts of the drill pipe when it is being lowered into and raised from the hole.
• Catch samples of drilled cuttings to be analyzed.
• Clean and maintain equipment.
• Help move drilling rig and equipment from site to site and set up.
• Dig and clean mud pits and drains.
• Assist with well development and pumping tests.
• Operate equipment such as pumps for air, water and mud, and equipment and tools used to correct problems in drilled holes caused by mechanical breakdowns or by harmful natural conditions.
• Carry out minor maintenance and repairs, including lubrication and cleaning.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Experience preferred, but will train
• Mechanical skills preferred
• Class A or Class B CDL license a plus
• Must be able to obtain DOT Medical Examiners Certificate or have current certificate prior to employment
• Available to work overtime, out of town, and weekends as required to meet client schedules
• Ability to lift drill steel and materials weighing up to 80 lbs.
• Must pass company background checks including drug screen
• Must have acceptable driving record within company standards
• Local candidates preferred; no relocation.
To be considered for this position, please complete the job specific questionnaire when applying.
We offer a comprehensive benefits program including medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, short and long-term disability insurance plans, time off with pay, 401(k) with company match, etc.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value workplace diversity. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities. Tetra Tech is a VEVRAA federal contractor and we request priority referral of veterans for available positions. Ardaman is a Drug Free Workplace.